Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Bratz Games and Music


I don’t know why exactly, but the Bratz games make me think of music when I see them. I don’t have the same experience with the Barbie dolls, and I think the different lies in the fundamental differences between Bratz games and Barbie games. The Bratz games are more urban; they are edgy and controversial. The clothing is hip, the eyes are big, the lips are lush, they are downright sexy for little plastic toys, but Barbie can’t really say the same any more.

Of course, Barbie is still sporting some serious curves and that long blonde hair and figure would normally throw her into the sexy doll category as well, but somehow it doesn’t. Barbie has been carefully marketed as a conservative girl who can safely appeal to younger girls. She is only marginally edgy, and a lot of that edge is worn out since she appears dressed as princesses just as often as she does in some revealing bathing suit or ball gown. When I see Barbie I think of princess movie show tunes. When I see the Bratz games, I think of bass booming stereos – which would you prefer as a young girl?

No comments: