Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Bratz Games and Me


Of all the various fashion games, Bratz games are easily my favorite. Why, you might ask? I like them for the same reasons most girls do – the dolls are funky and fun in a different way. You’ll hear complaints that the Bratz games don’t have enough clothing on or that they are a bit too sultry to be a fashion doll, but I think it’s all in your perception. Barbie has done some skimpy clothing in her day. If the Bratz are so outlandish, why are they so popular?

I think it’s because the Bratz dolls adequately reflect our society. Girls play with Bratz games, but that doesn’t mean that they all want to become their own Bratz dolls. I can like trendy, even sexy clothing on dolls without becoming a charlatan in my own right. That might not be true for everyone, but then parents would know better than anyone how their children will respond to a certain doll or toy. If your child likes the fashions for her, talk to her about it and what they mean. But if she just likes playing fashion games, relax and let her – it’s just the styles after all. 

No comments: